Alabama CDL and DOT Medical Card Requirements

Alabama CDL Requirements

All Alabama CDL holders are required to certify the type of commercial operation they’re engaged in.

Interstate Non-Excepted
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed self-certified application, provide the DPS with a Federal DOT medical certificate.

Failure to submit the required forms to the Alabama Department of Public Safety will result in the cancellation of your commercial driver license.

Submitting your Medical Certificate to Alabama DPS

Submit the following two documents:

  1. Commercial Driver License Self Certification Affidavit – download the form here from Alabama Department of Public Safety.
  2. Copy of your valid DOT medical card (Medical card only, not the long form.) Enlarge the copy to ensure that all information is legible.

By Mail:
Alabama Department of Public Safety
Driver License Division
CDL Unit
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102-1471

By Fax:
(334) 353-1980

Or you can submit your self-certification certificate online:


It may take up to 10 business days for medical information to be posted from the time it is received by Public Safety.

If your medical card expires, and you haven’t renewed it, Alabama DPS will notify you that you are no longer medically certified to operate a CMV in non-excepted Interstate commerce. If a current medical examiners certificate and if applicable the variance (waiver) is not received within 45 days all your CDL privileges will be removed from your license.

Other Information:
Link for Alabama CDL Self Certification Frequently Asked Questions

More Questions: email


Special Information Updates  – JANUARY 2015 –
Pertaining To ALL STATES


The FMCSA has requested that all medical examiners continue providing drivers with a paper copy of the medical certificate so that Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) holders can provide a copy to the State licensing agency, and the non-CDL drivers can provide the documentation to their employers and Federal and State enforcement officials.

The Agency is currently completing efforts to put into place an electronic system to enable medical examiners to transmit the medical certificate information from the National Registry system to the State licensing agencies. However, until that system is completed, medical examiners must continue to issue paper copies of the medical certificates to drivers who pass the medical exam.


Commercial Drivers – You still need to carry a paper copy of your medical card, until FMCSA announces that this is no longer necessary.

driver feedbackYour Feedback Is Welcome

Dealing with Federal DOT Regulations across the board is tough enough!
But when it comes to State Regulations — There are 50 different sets of rules. Someone could move the goal posts at any time…

To help us all avoid the black eye experience — AARGH! —
Please leave your feedback about your experience in this State.
Go to the Questions and Comments box below and post your feedback.

! To save us all from zombie spammers, your feedback will not appear on this page until it has been approved. Visit this page again soon to see your comment, and others too.
P.S. Your email address will not be published.

NOTE: This website is not affiliated with, or endorsed by FMCSA or any government or state agency.


  1. Michael James says

    I faxed my medical examiner’s certificate in and they have me listed as a class D driver. What’s going on? My License No is (deleted for privacy). Please give me a call @ (deleted) ASAP! Thank you!

  2. Vivian says

    If I am on FMLA, how do I go about keeping my CDL? Do I have to just reinstate? (Cancels in sept) once I am cleared to work? Is this a legal reason to keep my CDL in Alabama?

  3. Ricky Thomas says

    Can I get a medical card for just driving a dump truck in state if I have a pacemaker defibulater.

  4. charles lenderman says

    I had my physical before the old physical card expired. My employer said he would send in but did not. After i got a letter from DOT, i immediate faxed in to published # (334-353-1980). How do I know that DOT receiver my physical card and do I have a grace period to send physical card to DOT??
    thanks Charlie

    • says

      Sorry we can’t help you with state level information, other than what we’ve already posted on this page.
      Each state is different as far as their grace period, fees, etc.
      The only way to know if they have your updated information, is for your to contact Alabama DPS directly.

  5. james says

    how can I find out if im in the system for my medical card? I have called every number made available,no respond. please help

  6. Michael Williams says

    I have just started my own trucking business, I went and had a physical and drug test set up by my MCC. Got my medical examiner’s certificate went and handed it to the AL. DMV took my written test and passed, got a CDL permit and went and took my road test and passed. went back and got my CDL/A license everytime issued MEC to officer and they processed my info . Now I have a CDL and the Alabama Department of Public Safety has sent me a letter stating that they are going to cancel my CDL in Dec. I have not even had these license a week and now they want me to issue a copy of my MEC to them or my CDL’s will be cancelled and I have to purchase a class d license on my expense. This is so wrong so what do I do now

    • says

      As long as you qualify as a driver “physically fit for duty”, then you should have no major issues.
      Make sure you have your primary doctor completes your medical release form for you before you go for your DOT examination. That will answer many of the CME’s questions.

  7. walter says

    i have been taking Norco 10/325 for 4 or 5 years (4 per day) and Tramadol (2 per day) , I never experienced any side effects any of that is listed on the paper work sent by the Drug-est, in fact it energizes me. I am 80 years old in good heath, I passed the DOT Physical by a MD but found out she was not on the National Register. Never experienced high blood pressure. But my primary care Doctor will not sigh of on afraid that if I had accident it would backfire on him and get him sued. He has been my primary care Doctor for 30 or more years (that may be a probland for other doctors). I do not know what to do about that?

    • says

      Very first question, is your primary on the NRCME? If not, he can’t do your medical card anyway.
      If he is, then he should be able to determine whether you are safe to operate a commercial motor vehicle.

      If you have to go to a NRCME examiner, then make sure you have your medical release form completed by your primary and let the CME determine if you are medically fit for duty. That takes your primary out of the equation.

  8. Steve lindstrom says

    I put intrastate instead of non excepted intrastate can I change it too non excepted intrastate still after making that mistake I’m a new driver and live in Alabama

  9. bill wiggins says

    I have type 2 diabetes. I am not on insulin. One pill twice a day. I let my A1C get too high back in May. It got to 10.2. Today I had it checked and now is down to 9.0. My license to going to be cancelled on 08/17/2014 because I have not gotten my health card renewed. I was trying to get my A1C down first. Can I get a short time extension on my license or health card while I am getting my A1C back down below 8.0? Thanks.

    • says

      You would have to get an insulin diabetic waiver from the FMCSA to drive interstate.
      I am not sure about traveling intra-state only. Check with your state DVM they can answer your specific question.

  10. LYNN says

    I have faxed and mail a copy of my DOT medical info., how can I find out if the Alabama Publc safety has recieved it.i did that on 6/30/14. They had sent me a letter saying they was going to take my CDL away by 8/15/14 if they did not get it by then

  11. Barbara Adams says

    I work for ALDOT, but in the public sector and have been asked by several OTR drivers about new regulations concerning body weight and size of neck. I have searched all through the new regulations and cannot find any information on this. Also, is there a simple list of new changes to the Federal medical requirements for CDLs? Thank you for any information you can pass my way.

      • LT says

        It’s not a regulation, just guidance. Doctors need to throughly examine any person who is over weight or has a neck size of 18″ or larger.

        Most medical professionals say that obese people have an increased chance of developing sleep apnea and need to be evaluated.

        When answering questions from the doctor who is performing you DOT Physical he/she may ask you if you snore or have trouble sleeping or if you’re always tired. If you answer yes to any of those questions, whether you’re over weight or not may just get you a sleep apnea test and a 90 med card.

  12. Alexander says

    Does the state of Alabama disqualify a driver for being diagnosed with Sleep Apnea even with use of a Cpap machine? Thank you.

    • says

      I don’t believe so. If they follow FMCSA and DOT rulings then your medical card and the right to drive are limited to a one year medical certificate. You could check with Alabama DMV to get further information.

      • LT says

        Usually not disqualified, however you may be issued a 90 day med card until an evaluation for sleep apnea is performed.

    • says

      Yes, you can get a medical card.
      That being said, you will run into restrictions if you plan to drive long haul.
      If you are going to drive local / intra-state, then you should check with your local DMV to determine what your state restrictions may be.
      Long haul is going to require a visual waiver and some special testing for basic skills while driving as a monocular driver.
      Good Luck.

  13. kenneth ayer says

    I mailed in my dot health card and did the self cert. On line. This was done on march 6th 2014. After recieving the letter of cansalation. How do I find out the statice of my licence.

  14. Jeremy Pickett says

    I have my cdl but do not use it currently I do not wish to lose it incase I need to use it in the future how do I certify it will I have to go get a current dot physical or is their a way no cerify with out getting a physical?

  15. Scott McMichael says

    I work for the city of Huntsville Landscape Management. 2 of my employees have CDL’s. They have been under the impression that they were exempt from the medical card requirement because the work for a municipality. Has this changed? Where they wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated!

    • says

      @ Scott
      To the best of my knowledge, everyone who has a cdl must maintain a current medical card. No matter where they work. These new rules started being enforced with the FMCSA’s wish to be able to scan a drivers license and have all the drivers records on file and available for the DOT and/or police officers. I would confirm with AL. DMV, I know this is true in Utah.

  16. james alton sullins says

    was wandering how to certify the type of commercial operation i’m engaged in, i only drive occasionally for my cousin who owns a tractor and equipment shop, its not a 18wheeler, its a 36ft flatbed trailer and a 4500 dodge truck, we haul farm equipment solely for repair and some resale by my cousin, at times have had to go to mississippi, georgia, and kentucky. only 1day runs no long hauls. got my cdl’s for wal-mart way back, been retired since aug. 2010, just drive occasionally for my cousin at 4C Farms, the truck is not equipped with air brakes just standard electric on trailer, don’t really know if i have to have cdl’s for this truck and trailer……….thanks, please advise, was not aware of this new deal, till i got cancellation in the mail…………..

    • says

      @ James
      At least here in Utah, if you operate a vehicle in excess of 10,001 lbs. you have to have a current medical card. Now, you can have a standard class D drivers license, not a cdl, but if the vehicle combination is over 10,001 lbs. and is being used for commerce the medical is needed. That’s Utah. Check with your DMV to confirm your state requirements.

    • Floyd Marcus Moss says

      I am a diesel mechnic retired from the city of Florence Al, I work part time for self I go out and pick trucks up and drive them back to shop. I never had to have a health card is this something new? My Commercial driver license doe’s not expire until 01-13-2016. I have had these license for 40 yrs.

Comments and Questions

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *