Utah CDL and DOT Medical Card Requirements

Utah CDL Requirements

Beginning January 30, 2012, CDL holders will be required to submit a valid DOT medical card and medical self driving certification for original, renewal, upgrade, duplicate and state to state transfer license applications.

After implementation all CDL drivers will be required to submit a new DOT card and medically certify when the previous DOT card expires.  All CDL drivers must comply by January 30, 2014.

If you do not qualify for a DOT medical certificate you may be eligible for a Utah “K” Restriction which would allow you to drive a commercial vehicle within the state of Utah only.

Interstate Non-Excepted
You must meet the Federal DOT medical certificate requirements.

Intrastate Non-Excepted
You must meet the Utah medical requirements 53-3-303.5. You must have a Utah Intrastate Waiver card.

Intrastate “K” Restriction
The Utah Medical Waiver Program considers medical conditions in the following categories:

  • Diabetes and other metabolic conditions
  • Cardiovascular
  • Pulmonary
  • Neurologic
  • Epilepsy and seizures
  • Learning, memory and communication
  • Psychiatric or emotional conditions
  • Alcohol and other drugs
  • Visual acuity
  • Musculoskeletal abnormality
  • Alertness or sleep disorders
  • Hearing and balance

For more information see Utah Department of Public Safety Medical Categories


Submit your CDL Self-Certification and Medical Certificate to Utah DPS

Submit the following two documents:

  1. Commercial Driver License Medical Self Certification – download the form (CDL 42) here from Utah Department of Public Safety.
  2. Copy of your valid DOT medical card or Utah Intrastate Waiver card. (Medical card only, not the long form.) Enlarge the copy to ensure that all information is legible.

By Mail:
Utah Driver License Division
PO Box 144501
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4501

By Fax:

By Email:
Documents must be in PDF format.


Keep Your Medical Card Current With Utah Department of Public Safety

Before your medical card expires you must have a new medical examination and obtain a new medical certificate. You are responsible for providing your valid medical certificate to Utah DPS.

If your DOT medical card expires, and you do not submit a renewed medical certificate within 45 days, your driver license will be disqualified for failure to downgrade.

You may submit a copy of your new medical card to Utah DPS by mail, fax, or email, as described above.


Other Information:

Utah Dept of Public Safety official website – Driver License Division

Utah DPS – Utah Medical Card Requirements

Utah Driver License Division – Customer Service Section
Third Floor – South
4501 South 2700 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84129
Phone: 801 965-4437 or 888-353-4224

Driver License Division web contact form


Special Information Updates  – JANUARY 2015 – Pertaining To ALL STATES


The FMCSA has requested that all medical examiners continue providing drivers with a paper copy of the medical certificate so that Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) holders can provide a copy to the State licensing agency, and the non-CDL drivers can provide the documentation to their employers and Federal and State enforcement officials.

The Agency is currently completing efforts to put into place an electronic system to enable medical examiners to transmit the medical certificate information from the National Registry system to the State licensing agencies. However, until that system is completed, medical examiners must continue to issue paper copies of the medical certificates to drivers who pass the medical exam.


Commercial Drivers – You still need to carry a paper copy of your medical card, until FMCSA announces that this is no longer necessary.

driver feedbackYour Feedback Is Welcome

Dealing with Federal DOT Regulations across the board is tough enough!
But when it comes to State Regulations — There are 50 different sets of rules. Someone could move the goal posts at any time…

To help us all avoid the black eye experience — AARGH! —
Please leave your feedback about your experience in this State.
Go to the Questions and Comments box below and post your feedback.

! To save us all from zombie spammers, your feedback will not appear on this page until it has been approved. Visit this page again soon to see your comment, and others too.
P.S. Your email address will not be published.

NOTE: This website is not affiliated with, or endorsed by FMCSA or any government or state agency.


  1. Dan D says

    I have type 1 diabetes and currently have a intrastate med card. I’m in the process of getting a new job where I would have to cross into Nevada to Ely. Is there a way to get a waiver to be able to leave the state?

  2. Aaron Isom says

    What if we aren’t acting with the privileges of a commercial driver? I work in a office environment now, but I don’t want to give up my CDL because I may have to drive commercially again one day. I also have a Private Pilot License, my FAA medical can expire, but if I want to fly again I have to have an up to date medical signed by a FAA medical examiner. There ought to be a wavier if you want to keep your CDL but aren’t acting as a commercial driver.

    • says

      Check with Utah DMV and see if they’ll let you self-certify “intrastate excepted” while you’re not driving commercially. Then you won’t need to have a medical certificate.
      When you want to drive again, you’ll need to get a new medical card, and change your self-certification to a non-excepted category.

  3. Leon Creach says

    What if we where overseas from 2012-2014? Just arrived 2 months ago from Germany and need to renew my medical card that expired in 2013. Do I have to loose my CDL class A cause we where station in Germany.

    • says

      Your CDL Class A is most likely still okay if you haven’t received a downgrade letter from DMV.
      Renew your medical card.
      Fax or mail a copy of your new medical card, together with your self-certification affidavit to Utah DMV.
      If you get a downgrade letter from Utah DMV, contact them and explain your position.

Comments and Questions

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>